Wad2PDF is a program that converts the levels in Doom wad files
into PDF files. The result has a bird's eye view of every level, with
floors neatly texturized and all items in the level in their proper
places. The PDF output can be imported to graphics programs for
further editing or printed out directly. You can even create
wall-sized mega posters of your favorite Doom levels.
Wad2PDF is coded by Jussi Pakkanen and released under the GNU
general public licence. Further info can be found on the Sourceforge project
Wad2PDF requires only an IWAD file and optionally resource wads and
a pwad. Those not running the Windows binary also need a Python installation. All levels must
have version 5 gl nodes built with glBSP. Some proficiency with
the command line is also required, since Wad2PDF does not have a
The newest version is 1.7, released 14th of January 2008. Download
It is available as a Windows binary and as a Python source package.
Windows guick quide
Since there are many Windows users who don't know how to use the
command line I have put together a step by step tutorial on using Wad2PDF.
- supports all Doom games: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen,
- full pwad support
- creates browsable PDF with bookmarks identified by level
- reads gl nodes both from wads and GWA files
- resulting PDF is vectorized and can be zoomed arbitrarily (extreme
zooms will make the textures blocky, though)
- available under the GPL
- does not support hi-res graphics or scaled/zoomed flats
Note: most of these screen shots have uniform colored
"boxes" behind the items and monsters. These are caused by XPDF, which can't handle
transparency. The same happens with XPDF derivatives like KPDF and
GPDF. All images are properly masked, but only Acrobat Reader shows
- The first level of Doom II, music
luckily not included. Notice the navigation bar on the left.
- The world famous "zig-zag" bridge,
Ultimate Doom, E1M1.
- To win the game, you must kill me, John Romero, Doom II, MAP30.
- Some levels even have round shapes,
- Monsters ready to attack, TNT
- Wad2PDF also reveals easter eggs, like this frowny face, The Plutonia
- I'm coming for you Korax, Hexen,
- Complex map, Team Eternal style,
- Even the hyperdetailed Phobia for
Doom Legacy works, Phobia, MAP01.
- Some trees, dark troopers, and a
mancubus up close and personal, Demon Sanctuary, MAP01.
- Talk to the hand, Ultimate Doom, E3M2.
- PDF metadata is fully supported,
- Those allergic to textures can choose the line art version, Icarus, MAP02.
- Here are some robotic monsters, Strife
style, Strife, MAP19
- Sector lighting is also supported,
Doom II, MAP06
I could not have done this program alone, so I'd like to thank the
following people for their contributions.
- Andrew Apted for glBSP
- Matt Fell and all the others for creating file specs for Doom, Heretic
- Guido & co for Python
- id Software for DOOM
© 2005-2008 Jussi Pakkanen,